The latest DWN is here, containing Possible Freetype Library Transition, Configuration File Handling and Versioned Dependencies amongst others.
Debian Weekly News
Debian Weekly News – November 29th, 2005
Welcome to this year's 48th issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for
the Debian community. Andreas Schuldei sent out a reminder for the
DebConf call for papers. Martin Krafft announced a bug
squashing party that lasts until December 14th and rewards 25 bug
squashers with a book.
Possible Freetype Library Transition. Steve Langasek reported that
libfreetype probably requires a transition as well due to upstream
changes. There are currently 583 packages in unstable which depend
on the libfreetype library, which would result in the largest
transition. He asked library maintainers to improve their packages by
using libtool and pkg-config.
Improved binary NMU Handling. Goswin Brederlow announced a new
behaviour of the archive suite for binary non-maintainer uploads
(NMUs). A build daemon can thus be told to rebuild a package as a
binary NMU automatically. They will use a new version scheme and mark
such uploads by adding +b1 (+b2, +b3) to the old version. Manual
binary NMUs should best be prepared with the CVS version of
Configuration File Handling. Frank Küster wondered if a failing
postinst script because of changes to a configuration file that were
not accepted by the local admin is considered a bug, especially if
this causes an upgrade to be aborted. Petter Reinholdtsen
suggested to implement a multilevel configuration system where
local information are stored in a separate file.
Versioned Dependencies. Peter van Eynde wondered how he could get
rid of a fatal versioned dependency to an architecture independent
package. This causes the build daemon to fail building a newer
version. Florian Weimer proposed to bootstrap the package manually
on all supported architectures.
Virtual Servers with Debian Sarge. BJ Dierkes wrote a detailed
description about the use of Debian 3.1 as a base for several
kernel-based virtual servers. This requires to build a custom
kernel with a special vserver patch applied. When the virtual server
is created a new distribution has to be bootstrapped inside.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update
your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
* DSA 907: ipmenu — Insecure temporary file creation.
* DSA 908: sylpheed-claws — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 909: horde3 — Cross-site scripting.
* DSA 910: zope2.7 — Arbitrary file inclusion.
* DSA 911: gtk+2.0 — Several vulnerabilities.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the
unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
* bbrun — Elegant tool for the Blackbox window manager that
* bip — Multiuser IRC proxy with conversation replay and more.
* fai-kernels — Special kernels for FAI (Fully Automatic
* feynmf — Set of LaTeX macros for creating Feynman diagrams.
* git-core — Stupid content tracker.
* gitk — Stupid content tracker (revision tree visualiser).
* istanbul — Desktop session recorder.
* knemo — Network interfaces monitor for KDE's systray.
* kpowersave — Frontend to powersave for setting user specific
* ksudoku — Sudoku puzzle generator and solver.
* linsmith — Tool to generate Smith Charts.
* ngircd — Next generation IRC Server.
* ofx — Open Financial Exchange programs.
* opencubicplayer — UNIX port of Open Cubic Player.
* pcmanx-gtk2 — User-friendly telnet client mainly targets BBS
* powersaved — Power management daemon.
* qlo10k1 — ALSA ld10k1 utility.
* rapple — Lightweight XML based tool for creating websites.
* stopwatch — Virtual stopwatch and timer.
* tablix2 — High school timetable generator.
* xchat-xsys — X-chat plugin that can display your current
* xoscope — Digital oscilloscope.
Orphaned Packages. 5 packages were orphaned this week and require a
new maintainer. This makes a total of 187 orphaned packages. Many
thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free
Software community. Please see the WNPP pages for the full list,
and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA: if you
plan to take over a package.
* autobook — GNU autoconf, automake and libtool book.
* php-clamav — PHP bindings for libclamav. (Bug#340738)
* rsplib — Prototype implementation of the IETF RSerPool
* sctplib — Userland implementation of the SCTP protocol RFC
* socketapi — Socket API library for sctplib. (Bug#340939)
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community
and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing
page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your
mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.