The 2nd DWN of 2006 is here, containing news about Status of non-free Firmware, Bits from the Release Team and New Technical Committee Members (Steve Langasek, Anthony Towns, and Andreas Barth).
Debian Weekly News
Debian Weekly News – January 10th, 2006
Welcome to this year's 2nd issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for the
Debian community. Jeroen van Wolffelaar reported that
packages.debian.org has been disabled due to performance issues.
Neil McGovern called for sponsorship requests for active Debian
people for the last time for the upcoming Debian Conference.
Status of non-free Firmware. Sven Luther explained the status of
non-free firmware blobs in the Debian Linux kernel. Some of them
have been relicensed and are redistributable again, others have been
separated from the kernel into userland to be used by the
request_firmware infrastructure. Steve Langasek plans to start a
general resolution to decide whether Debian requires the source code
for firmware blobs.
FOSDEM Booth for Debian. Wouter Verhelst is looking for volunteers
to help man the booth at the upcoming FOSDEM conference. He is
also interested in suggestions for something they could show at the
booth. The Debian project will also have a developers room in which
talks will be held.
Bits from the Release Team. Andreas Barth reported about the
expectations of the release team for 2006 which includes to release
etch at the beginning of December. He asked to take more care
about release critical bugs now and to be careful when performing
non-maintainer uploads. The essential toolchain and kernels will be
frozen at the end of July.
New Technical Committee Members. After extensive consultation with the
existing members of the technical committee and earlier resignations
of Wichert Akkerman, Jason Gunthorpe, and Guy Maor Branden Robinson
has appointed Steve Langasek, Anthony Towns, and Andreas Barth as
new members of the technical committee.
Stable Aliases for CD Drives. Marco d'Itri reported that the
convenient /dev/cdrom symlink will not be supported anymore. Joey Hess
added that this link needs to be available in an installed system
for APT to work properly with a local CD attached. Adrian von Bidder
stated that similarly stable Ethernet interface names which
suddenly become unstable after an upgrade are not funny.
Debian Archive Split and AMD64 Integration? Martin Zobel-Helas
asked about the status of the archive split and the integration of
the AMD64 port. Anthony Towns mentioned the archive split that
prevents AMD64 from being integrated into the normal Debian
development environment earlier already. New patches need to be
GnuPG Error during Upgrade. Bernd Prager noticed that upgrading
Debian fails with a missing key error since a new archive key is used
for signing. Lee Chinook provided the path to the new key and
the instructions to incorporate it.
Obsoleted Package: xlibs-dev. David Nusinow announced that with
the upload of X.org 6.9 to unstable the xlibs-dev metapackage is no
longer built. As a result many packages fail to build until their
build dependencies have been adjusted to list only the required
libraries. Since all such libraries are also available in sarge
the packages can still be backported easily.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update
your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
* DSA 929: petris — Buffer overflow.
* DSA 930: smstools — Format string vulnerability.
* DSA 931: xpdf — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 932: kdegraphics — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 933: hylafax — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 934: pound — Several vulnerabilities.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the
unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
* akode-dbg — Debugging symbols for akode.
* altermime — Utility used to alter mime-encoded mailpacks.
* aspell-et — Estonian dictionary for Aspell.
* avahi-daemon — Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon.
* bluetooth — Bluetooth stack utilities.
* cacao — Java virtual machine.
* csync2 — Cluster synchronisation tool.
* dbus — Simple interprocess messaging system.
* iestonian — Estonian dictionary for Ispell.
* kchmviewer — CHM viewer for KDE.
* kfaxview — G3/G4 fax viewer for KDE using kviewshell.
* knetworkconf — KDE network configuration tool.
* lua-mode — Emacs mode for editing Lua programs.
* mrd6 — IPv6 Multicast Routing Daemon.
* myspell-et — Estonian dictionary for MySpell.
* nepenthes — Versatile tool to collect malware by emulating
* orage — Calendar for Xfce Desktop Environment.
* thunar — File Manager for Xfce.
* user-setup — Set up initial user and password.
* webcheck — Website link and structure checker.
Orphaned Packages. 1 package was orphaned this week and requires a new
maintainer. This makes a total of 166 orphaned packages. Many thanks
to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free Software
community. Please see the WNPP pages for the full list, and please
add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA: if you plan to
take over a package.
* sqlobject — Object Relational Manager for providing an object
interface to your database. (Bug#347193)
Removed Packages. 9 packages have been removed from the Debian
archive during the past week:
* guitar — GTK+ archive extraction/viewing tool
Bug#300627: Request of QA, dead upstream; better alternatives
* cabot — Set of helper scripts for GPG/PGP keysigning paperwork
Bug#320961: Request of QA, has never been part of a stable
release; orphaned; dead upstream; better alternatives exist
* libpng3 — PNG library – runtime
Bug#338016: Request of maintainer, superseded by libpng
* procmeter — X based system status monitor, older version
Bug#341505: Request of maintainer, dead upstream, superseded
* queue — Transparent load balancing system
Bug#341663: Request of maintainer and QA; dead upstream;
* cursel — Simple language to provide text application interfaces
Bug#342637: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy; FTBFS
* ipmenu — Cursel iptables/iproute2 GUI
Bug#342754: Request of maintainer, Obsolete
* libmusicbrainz-2.0 — Second generation incarnation of the CD
Index – development
Bug#342776: Request of maintainer, superseded by
* baseconfig-udeb — Run base-config from within debian-installer
Bug#344970: Request of maintainer, obsolete
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community
and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing
page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your
mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.