The 11th version of DWN is here, containing news about Debian QA Meeting in Extremadura, Updates from the Debian Kernel Team and The Role of the Project Leader
Debian Weekly News
Debian Weekly News – March 14th, 2006
Welcome to this year's 11th issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for
the Debian community. Raphaël Hertzog started to write down the
design of a collaborative maintenance infrastructure and created a
mailing-list for further discussions.
Debian QA Meeting in Extremadura. Martin Michlmayr called for
participation at the Debian Quality Assurance meeting in December
in Extremadura, Spain. It is intended to help coordinate the QA work
in Debian and is limited to 20 people. The Region of Extremadura will
kindly cover travel expenses for attendants from Europe.
Debian Backup Server. Joey Schulze announced a dedicated backup
server for important Debian resources excluding the buildd systems.
The backup of a resource consists of 10 to 100 versions. Since a
history of changes is maintained on the backup machine Debian
administration can roll back a resource to an older version and also
extract differences between past versions on demand.
Updates from the Debian Kernel Team. Bastian Blank reported about
the work of the Debian kernel team. The most visible change is the
move from kernel-image- packages to linux-image- packages. There has
also been excitement about a new x86 SMP patch, which would allow a
reduction in the current number of flavours. They are also working on
adding VServer, Xen and UML flavours to linux-2.6.
Martin 'Joey' Schulze steps down as Stable Release Manager. After
continuous discrepancies with the ftpmasters, Martin 'Joey' Schulze
has now resigned from his position as Stable Release Manager. He
has held that position since 2001 and it will now be taken over by
Andreas Barth and Martin Zobel-Helas.
Results of the General Resolution about the GFDL. Manoj Srivastava
announced that the Debian project has decided that works licensed
under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) without
unmodifiable sections are free. 369 Debian developers took part in
this general resolution, 428 ballots have been received in total.
The Role of the Project Leader. Martin Michlmayr reflected on the
role of the leader of the Debian project (DPL). He basically
states that the DPL can't solve all problems and that an often called
strong leader won't be followed either. Instead of asking the DPL what
they'll do to solve the problems he suggested the developers to ask
themselves what they could do to improve the situation.
Influencing Haskell Development. Isaac Jones asked the Debian
community to look at Haskell98 and some of the “research”
extensions and give upstream developers some input about what
would make Haskell more attractive. He is trying to make Haskell
more suitable for practical applications and reported on efforts to
develop CPAN-like and apt-get-like systems for it.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update
your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
* DSA 988: squirrelmail — Several vulnerabilities.
* DSA 989: zoph — SQL injection.
* DSA 990: bluez-hcidump — Denial of service.
* DSA 991: zoo — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 992: ffmpeg — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 993: gnupg — Broken signature check.
* DSA 994: freeciv — Denial of service.
* DSA 995: metamail — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 996: libcrypt-cbc-perl — Cryptographic weakness.
* DSA 997: bomberclone — Arbitrary code execution.
* DSA 998: libextractor — Several vulnerabilities.
* DSA 999: lurker — Several vulnerabilities.
* DSA 1000: libapreq2-perl — Denial of service.
* DSA 1001: crossfire — Arbitrary code execution.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the
unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
* dspam — Scalable, fast and statistical anti-spam filter.
* exfalso — Audio tag editor for GTK+.
* fullquottel — Tool for recognising mails/postings in
* gnudoq — Open Source, graphical Su Doku generator and solver
with printer support.
* gtimelog — Minimal timelogging system.
* network-manager — Network management framework daemon.
* nwutil — Netwinder hardware utilities.
* pyroman — Firewall configuration tool for complex networks.
* selinux-basics — SELinux basic support.
* ssft — Shell Scripts Frontend Tool.
* stroq — Polarium/Chokkan Hitofude clone.
Orphaned Packages. 4 packages were orphaned this week and require a
new maintainer. This makes a total of 234 orphaned packages. Many
thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free
Software community. Please see the WNPP pages for the full list,
and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA: if you
plan to take over a package.
* unifont — X11 dual-width GNU Unicode font. (Bug#356594)
* visualboyadvance — Full featured Game Boy Advance emulator.
* wmdonkeymon — Shows the status of edonkey's downloads in
* wmmisc — Dock app that monitors your system. (Bug#356588)
Removed Packages. 27 packages have been removed from the Debian
archive during the past week:
* swt-motif — Standard Widget Toolkit for Motif JAR library
Bug#316763: Request of maintainer, buggy and mostly unused
* libkpathsea-perl — Perl interface to Kpathsea library and mktex*
Bug#336478: Request of maintainer, outdated; better solutions
* cpbk — Mirroring utility for backing up your files
Bug#341724: Request of maintainer, dead upstream, alternatives
* kbanking — Development files for KDE bindings of AqBanking
Bug#351033: Request of maintainer, merged into libaqbanking
* db2 — Berkeley database routines
Bug#351179: Request of QA, RC-buggy, superseded by db4.3
* ddrmat — Linux kernel driver for using Playstation dancing mats
Bug#351481: Request of maintainer, obsoleted by linux-2.6,
* pymodplug — ModPlug mod-like music shared libraries [Python
Bug#351483: Request of maintainer, dead upstream, mostly
* pyflac — Free Lossless Audio Codec [Python bindings]
Bug#351484: Request of maintainer, obsolete
* mol-modules-2.6.12 — Mac-on-Linux emulator – kernel modules
Bug#351899: Request of maintainer, out-of-date
* tclxml — Tcl library for XML parsing
Bug#352330: Request of QA, has never been part of a stable
release, orphaned, RC bugs, functionality available elsewhere
* libapache-mod-security — Tighten web applications security for
Bug#352344: Request of maintainer, undistributable for legal
* rhdb-explain — Tool for visualising the output of the PostgreSQL
Bug#352422: Request of maintainer, obsolete, functionality
superseded by pgadmin3
* pointless — Presentation tool based on OpenGL
Bug#352558: Request of maintainer, dead upstream, few users
* pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-i386 — PCMCIA modules for Linux (kernel
Bug#352843: Request of maintainer, obsolete, FTBFS
* openmosixview — Graphical tool to manage an openmosix cluster
Bug#353416: Request of maintainer, depends on removed
* openh323gk — Transitional package
Bug#353437: Request of maintainer, obsolete transitional
package for gnugk
* ean13 — Create an EAN-13 or UPC barcode in .xbm format
Bug#353521: Request of QA, under-maintained, functionality
superseded by barcode, kbarcode
* hsftp — SSH client with look and feel of an FTP client
Bug#353541: Request of maintainer, insecure, alternatives
* saoimage — Utility for displaying and processing astronomical
Bug#354209: Request of maintainer, superseded by saods9
* matrox-tvout — Configure a Matrox G550 for NTSC TV output
Bug#354616: Request of maintainer, dead upstream
* imageviewer — Image Viewer for GNUstep
Bug#354785: Request of maintainer, superseded by preview.app;
* gnustep-antlr — Objective-C Classes Needed for ANTLR
Bug#354788: Request of maintainer, orphaned, broken
* gnustep-gd — Objective-C Interface to the GD Graphics Library
Bug#354789: Request of maintainer, orphaned, broken
* simpleui.bundle — Theme bundle for GNUstep
Bug#354791: Request of maintainer, orphaned, broken,
superseded by camaleon
* ircd — IRC Server daemon – dummy package
Bug#355270: Request of QA, obsolete dummy package, superseded
* bluez-sdp — Dummy package for BlueZ SDP library.
Bug#355322: Request of maintainer, obsolete dummy package
* po-debiandoc — Tools for helping translation of DebianDoc-SGML
Bug#356198: Request of maintainer, dead upstream, superseded
DWN needs Contributors. If you want to continue reading DWN, please
help produce it. We need volunteer writers who watch the Debian
community and report about what is going on, preferably with
ready-to-add items. Please see the contributing page to find out
how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at