The Linux Newbie have searched for the best Linux distro and have compiled a massive pro/con list in this blog entry. Kubuntu seems to do it for him/her.
Read it here
Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper
* Live CD
* Graphical Installer
* Good hardware detection (Same as Ubuntu)
* Uses the KDE GUI (Very Windows like, and lots of eye-candy)
* Installation is easy and very fast (7 minutes on my 2.8Ghz processor)
* It's FREE
* Unlike it's brother Ubuntu, Kubuntu installed easily on my laptop (Well, mostly)
* Because Kubuntu is basically (but not quite) Ubuntu with the KDE desktop, it is well supported.
* About that installation… Everything installed great until it tried to update itself. It froze EVERY time. So, I just unplugged my ethernet cable and viola, it installed without a hitch (Well, mostly… (In another post… hopefully soon, I will explain in more detail about the installation procedure.)
* There is still more development needed for the Kubuntu line… for me to have it as a complete Windows replacement. (I also still use Windows on my desktop)