So as a long time Ubuntu user, I asked myself this very important question. Is the Ubuntu word over-hyped ? Is Ubuntu Linux riding on the wave of good will, on top of what this word actually mean ?
Read the rest of the blog entry here
To sum up, these are the factors that has catapulted Ubuntu as the number one Linux distribution in terms of popularity. They are as follows:
* Distributing free Ubuntu CDs to anybody who asks for it.
* Designed with the home user in mind.
* Excellent hardware detection – a quality I believe is shared by other Linux distributions.
* A strong user community backing its growth.
* Containing the latest versions of the software packages.
* Managing to grab the average user's imagination with its association with the Bantu word Ubuntu.