Andre Felipe Machado announces that the FUSS project, covering 83 schools at 23 cities in the italian Bolzano province, are going to use Debian for their servers and desktop.
FUSS and the Debian project
Even if there are several commercial structures that offer completely
free (as in freedom) software distributions, we choosed to use the
Debian GNU/Linux distribution as the foundation for all our work on the
FUSS GNU/Linux distribution.
One of the main aspects of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution is that is
developed mainly by volunteers, and their work is guided by the Debian
Social Contract. We choosed the Debian GNU/Linux distribution for
several reasons, both technical and strategical:
* Debian guarantees conformity to our choice to use and distribute
just free (as in freedom) software.
* Being developed mainly by volunteers guided by a social contract
Debian is indipendent from every commercial and marketing
strategies of a single company or distributor.
* Debian, since it's developed by a community of developers, has a
great adaptability and has less requirements for a huge
* Over 15.000 free software packages are maintained by the Debian
project for his software distribution.
* The technical infrastructure and tools of this distribution let
the creation of customized version in a easy and flexible way,
as demoonstrated by the Debian sub-project “Custom Debian
* The Debian Policy and the Debian Quality Assurance guarantees an
higher quality standard which defines structures and contents of
every single package. Also, the Debian Security Team give great
support for security concerns.
All these has guaranteed and will guarantees for the future a great
consistency within free software philosophy and a great development
stability that any other GNU/Linux distribution can actually give.
The FUSS Project:
- 83 schools at 23 cities in the italian Bolzano province
- 2460 desktops
- 70 servers and one central repository
- 13745 students
- 1728 teachers
- 412 people prepared
- 1604 training hours.
- 20000 cd-rom distributed
- Italian Scholastic Intendancy of the Province of Bolzano 
- Ministero del Lavoro e Delle Politiche Socialli
- European Social Fund 
- Center for Professional Formation in italian language CTS “Luigi
-Truelite S.R.L. 
- Alpikom S.A. 
-Proprietary software: 269.000 Euros / year
-Free Open Source Software
* one time costs
Migration: 308000 Euros
Training: 94000 Euros
* Recurrent costs
Maintanance and development: 30000 to 150000 Euros / year
Please, contact FUSS Project directly at the site  for further
Andre Felipe Machado