A joyous meeting for a few days discussing and working on in Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain. The meeting and work session took place in the gnuLinEx center and was attended by 18 Debian contributors.
this is the co-authored report from the
=== Emdebian/FAI Work Session in Extremadura 2008 ===
A joyous meeting for a few days discussing and working on
[http://emdebian.org|Emdebian] in Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain. The meeting and
work session took place in the gnuLinEx center and was attended by 18 Debian
==== Lenny bug squashing results ====
RC bug squashing with 7 or 8 closed RC bugs affecting Lenny and 3 sid only
ones. (Lesson learned: don't count the number of bugs, but list the bug
==== Emdebian results ====
* Cross-toolchain work – trying to fix gcc cross-multilib builds in mips/ppc.
Problem lies with differnces between gcc and debian lib64 paths. Could be
fixed with links in glibc. Disabled for now so that these arches
cross-toolchains can build.
* dpkg-cross gained cmake cross-build support
* Documentation overhaul
* emdebian Server overhauled and updated
* Exploring the need for an Emdebian system based on coreutils instead of
* Significant reductions in the size of glibc and tzdata for Emdebian
(courtesy of Aurelien), expected to save 5Mb in all Emdebian root
* Improving uClibc support in Emdebian
* Emdebian '5 year plan' including a full code audit in 2009 (preceded by
NMUs to close existing cross-building bugs)
* Goals and flavours for Emdebian Squeeze
* Emdebian crush – maximally squeezed with dependency changes, package name
changes and a lot of work to ensure that Debian packages can still be mixed
* Emdebian grip – smaller amounts of squeeze, as few functional changes as
possible and highest level of compatibility with Debian.
* Clearer support for native builds of Emdebian packages.
* Ideas and improvements to best handle the new buildd.emdebian.org
pseudo-package along the lines of ftp.debian.org using usercategories and
* Work on DEB_VENDOR and how dpkg classes will, together with a few other bug
fixes, provide the basis to migrate all Emdebian patches into Debian before
* debhelper patch for tags in packages.* files
* MTD support in Debian-installer discussed. Proposal for work/analysis
* Balloon3 networking and touchscreen improvements for Emdebian
* all bugs filed against busybox 1.11.2 have been verified and fixed
==== FAI work ====
We made FAI ready for Lenny. In that course, we fixed 1 serious, 3 important
and 16 other bugs. We also had long discussions about changelogs and quite
==== Other relevant stuff ====
While it was hot and sunny, it wasn't as hot as it will be in July 2009
(air-conditioning is going to be *so* needed for DebConf!)
As usual when people meet keysigning party took place. (yay \o/)
30GB of DebConf7 videos (as ntsc and pal mpeg1 file formats) where uploaded,
so that DVDs can be created now.
Muchas gracias a la Junta de Extremadura for giving us this opportunity!! It
is very much appreciated!