Debian-news is about one simple thing - news about Debian GNU/Linux and the top free distributions based on Debian GNU/Linux.

SimplyMEPIS 8.0 RC3: Entering the “Waiting for Lenny” Phase

When will SimplyMEPIS be released? MEPIS developer, Warren Woodford, says, “MEPIS 8.0 is in good shape but since MEPIS is meant to have a Debian Stable core, I’d prefer to wait and declare it final when Debian Lenny is released.” Read more here

For RC3, the kernel has been updated to upstream version, 2.6.27.15. Qemu 0.9.1+svn, libvirt 0.6., virt-manager 0.6.1, and virtinst 0.400.1 are available from the MEPIS pool to better match the virtualization configuration of the MEPIS kernel. At user requests, firefox 3.0.6-1, openoffice 3.0.0-5, and libgphoto2 2.4.3-1 updates were added to the SimplyMEPIS build. Community members have improved the MEPIS Network Assistant, the MEPIS Manual and they have added an autorun Intro to MEPIS to the CD.

6 Responses to “SimplyMEPIS 8.0 RC3: Entering the “Waiting for Lenny” Phase” »

1. Comment by Jerry3904 — February 13, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

(Zunächst möchte ich den deutschsprachigen Mitgliedern der Debian-Community sagen, daß wir “MepisLovers” sehr dankbar für die hohe Qualität sind, die wir in Lenny sehen. Ausgezeichnete Arbeit!)

We are all looking forward with great anticipation to the moment that Lenny becomes stable, and expect from developer Warren Woodford that MEPIS 8 will be released very shortly after that. Could I point anyone interested in the distro’s progress to the community website (http://www.mepiscommunity.org) and the community forum (http://www.mepislovers.org) , where we would be delighted to see you join us when you have the time and interest.

2. Comment by Pastor Ron — February 13, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

There’s several posts on my blog regarding Mepis 8 if you would care to drop by. Frankly, the rc version is working flawlessly on my laptop, and I couldn’t be happier. Well, nearly. I have to learn about web cameras; mine came with one and I’ve never used it.

Simply has been my choice of Linux for several years now, and it keeps getting better. SM 8 does everything I need it to do in a very stable manner.

3. Comment by Handydan918 — February 13, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

Mepis is the best little Debian distro you never heard of! If you are a KDE user and like Debian, try Mepis! Kde integration is flawless, with a number of unique system tools (xserver fixes, network config, etc.) that you won’t get elsewhere.
    Not to mention a really great community. No RTFM replies on the mepislovers forum!

4. Comment by barnsleybill — February 13, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

Every user of Mepis, is I believe, on tenterhooks waiting for the release of MEPIS 8. I’ve used the distro since 6.0.1 and it does and is improving all the time. Don’t take my word for it though, give it a try you will not regret the move. The community forum (http://www.mepislovers.org) they are a really helpful and friendly bunch. You are only an install from perfection, I can not fault Mepis in any way, it works very well on older hardware too, so give it a go you will not be disappointed

5. Comment by fbt — February 14, 2009 @ 3:20 pm

Not only am I waiting on Lenny for Mepis, but it’s holding back sidux from updating to KDE 4.2 as well. Some would say that is a good thing.

6. Comment by Rich — February 14, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

I migrated from M7 to M8 a couple of release candidates ago AND installed M8 on an old PC I refurbished to donate to my son’s nursery. It really is very good! Here’s one of my blog entries on living with M8: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/en/node/413

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI