Debian-news is about one simple thing - news about Debian GNU/Linux and the top free distributions based on Debian GNU/Linux.

MEPIS goes kaboom, time to try openSUSE

As KDE 4.2.4 was just released I became really eager to try it out. I have tested KDE 4 series earlier. The first version, 4.0, was bit of a disappointment. 4.1 and earlier versions of 4.2 seemed solid enough for casual use. MEPIS is still based on 3.5 by default. More here

It is possible to update MEPIS to 4.2 by adding some experimental repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list. That’s what I did. Debian experimental repositories work out of box. I managed to install the KDE 4.2 packages after bit of wrestling. To cut the story short I ended up system in which I could not get into graphical login screen. It was time to give openSUSE a go.

7 Responses to “MEPIS goes kaboom, time to try openSUSE” »

1. Comment by Jimmy Johnson — June 9, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

Thanks for telling us what a Dim Wit, dumb F__K you are.

First Mepis is based on Lenny and all you had to do was use the Lenny backports to install KDE4.

You tell us that Mepis has a KDE4 install but you don’t use it?

You and that Microsoft loving Novell/SUSE deserve each other. Good Luck.

2. Comment by Robert Fahy — June 9, 2009 @ 10:09 pm

If you’re eager to keep Mepis, I invite you to try out Danum’s KDE4 remasters:

That being said, I’m a strong supporter of KDE3. Until LCD’s are replaced by 3D plasma monitors I don’t think there’s anything above KDE3.

3. Comment by David — June 9, 2009 @ 10:52 pm

I cannot approve of Jimmy Johnson’s intemperate words above, but I do wonder why debian-news is promulgating a blatant plug for a non-debian distribution.
    Is there any editorial control on this site?

4. Comment by cj2003 — June 10, 2009 @ 10:48 am

@ Jimmy Johnson – I guess your coments would fit better to the original article, as we’re just quoting it here at debian-news.net.

@ David – I agree that the words used by Jimmy Johnson are on the border of acceptable, but we do write about the debian-based distributions (see http://www.debian-news.net/about/) , also when someone is unsatisfied with them and switches to something else; we even write when they then praise the new choice in light of what they see as missing with the rejected (debian-based) distribution.

/cj2003

5. Comment by David — June 10, 2009 @ 11:51 am

@cj2003
    Thanks for replying.
    Actually I agree with Jimmy Johnson’s sentiments although I would have chosen different words to express them.
    It is good that debian-news allows criticism of debian and debian-based distros. But in this case the criticism was ill-founded and was used to promote Suse: best to leave such material in its well-deserved obscurity.

6. Comment by Jimmy Johnson — June 12, 2009 @ 9:48 am

Thank Guys! The problem is that this guy should not be blogging about Linux, he’s an obvious Windows user and not willing to learn about Linux, except to break something and post about it. I mean here a guy is that has the intelligence to write a blog, but can’t ask a question of any kind, read a wiki or Google. What’s he going to do, try every distro there is and then drive it into the ground? I conclude the only service he’s doing is to deter a new user from trying Linux and that is what set me off, just thinking about it makes my blood boil, but if I must I will apologize.

I’m sorry. :)

7. Comment by iridesce — July 1, 2009 @ 9:09 pm

If the writer was truly serious about Mepis, he would have eventually found mepislovers.org. ( get ready for a blatant plug ) Mepislovers.org has been my support system for all things Mepis for a long time now.

I’m not a programmer, just like the concept and usability of this distribution. I’ve tried others and keep coming back.

FYI, I did try KDE 4.2 on a new Mepis 8 install ( you can read my posts on mepislovers.org ), but missed to many user friendly features of 3.5, so switched back.

Many were having great experiences with Danum’s ( … we are not worthy .. ) remaster, so I’d advise you look there for his latest offering here – http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21557

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI