Debian-news is about one simple thing - news about Debian GNU/Linux and the top free distributions based on Debian GNU/Linux.

Debian Doesn’t Love Me!

Debian doesn’t love me. I dunno what I did to incur such defiance, but one thing is for sure: I’m very grateful for the folks at Mepis, and Canonical, Sidux, and others who can tame Debian and make it usable by ordinary folks. More here

8 Responses to “Debian Doesn’t Love Me!” »

1. Pingback by Tweets that mention Debian Doesn’t Love Me! | Debian-News.net - Your one stop for news about Debian -- Topsy.com — April 23, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Debian Project. Debian Project said: (debian-news.net) Debian Doesn’t Love Me! http://tinyurl.com/2flpcqr [...]

2. Comment by Aurelien Derouineau — April 23, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

Ha! He doesn’t even accept comments it seems. Any ranting article that doesn’t accept comments should not be published here.

Also, I guess there’s no need to comment here; I’m sure most of us have the same opinion about that article and its poster.

3. Comment by canix — April 24, 2010 @ 10:13 am

Dang, the kid is, wull, God-awesome for a ‘non-geek mere mortal’. Not only does does he put gui debian into perspective with regard to Ubuntu variations and Linux Mint, only to arrive at Crunchbang Statler 10 for a user-friendy debian fork. He has a sense of humour! and takes dutiful pot-shots at inherent debian snobbery. I’ll stick with squeeze, thanks anyway!

4. Comment by Debianero Rumbero — April 24, 2010 @ 11:57 am

I don’t know why you’re promoting that piece of article-crap here.

5. Comment by John Brodie — April 24, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

I installed Debian Squeeze ~ 6 months ago. No prior Linux experience. Sure, it took a little getting used to – but there have been no major issues that couldn’t be overcome with a quick google search or IRC visit. I think this guy just doesn’t know what he’s doing… Why is this article here ?

6. Comment by Robin — April 24, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

The article doesn’t allow comments because I did not want to offend my readers with the ridiculous and profane stuff people were submitting for moderation. I allow comment on all my other posts, but disabled comments on that one after a dozen very rude, insulting, and unhelpful comments were submitted for moderation. That is my right. It’s my blog.

And as expected, the “Debian Taliban” reacted with the usual “religious fervor” to my complaint that “Debian doesn’t seem to want us ‘ordinary folks’ using ‘their’ distro.” I LOVE Debian, and if I could get pure Debian to work on my hardware without having to go to Linux school for several months, I would gladly do it. And I’ll be trying it again every now and then (after Squeeze goes to Stable for sure). This time I will buy the full DVD set, read the manual, and take my time with it.

I’m not bashing the world’s premiere Linux OS in that blog. I’m chiding it for being “snobby,” and praising the developers who fork it in order to TAME Debian so that “ordinary folks” can use it. That is something that, IN MY OPINION, Debian has thus far refused to do. And I get the distinct impression (from the Debian Forums and from commenters here and elsewhere) that such refusal is quite deliberate and willful.

I think that’s a shame, because Debian deserves more credit than it’s getting. Ubuntu and others get the appreciation that Debian ought to get, because they “bring Debian to the people.” If Debian did the same, it would gain the appreciation, financial support, and talents of many more users.

7. Comment by R S Chakravarti — April 26, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I have a new computer in my office with Ubuntu 8.04.
    The monitor is a wide screen model but the OS only
    recognises it as 800×600 which distorts the picture
    (turns circles into ellipses). How can I change it?
    Please suggest something which will work in Debian Squeeze
    which I intend to install (instead of Ubuntu).

8. Comment by Slappy — April 28, 2010 @ 12:54 am

The kid gave up too easily. That’s all… It can be frustrating at times but you have to stick with it. It is too bad he just didn’t pick up some Linux books to learn a little.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI