Dear Developers, since a few months  the backports service  has become officially supported by the Debian Project. In the spirit of clarifying responsibilities and resource access control within Debian, here is (between dashed lines below) the long overdue delegation for the backports team .
Backports Team delegation
I hereby appoint the following developers as members of the Backports
- Alexander Wirt
Any previous Backports Team delegation, not explicitly listed above, is
revoked. The delegation is not time-limited. It will be effective until
further changes by present or future DPLs.
The Backports Team oversee and maintain the well-being of Debian’s
backport service that allow Debian Developers to prepare backported
packages for Debian users. Members of the Backports Team are responsible
for tasks that include:
- Defining the policy for backports upload, in consultation with
- Running the archive infrastructure that powers the backports service,
usually with the support of the FTP Masters.
- Accepting and rejecting NEW packages that enter the backports
repository (AKA “NEW queue processing” for the backports service).
- Managing the keyring that control upload access to the backports
service, performing tasks such as adding, removing, and updating keys.
- At the time of writing, the policy for backports upload is maintained
- More details on the activities of the Backports Team are available at
- If you want to help out the backports team and/or joining it, you’re
welcome to contact them at
To conclude, please join me in thanking the Backports Team as well as
Joerg Jaspert for his support to the backports infrastructure on the FTP