New features for Debian Edu 7.0.0 alpha1 released 2013-05-14 This is the release notes for for Debian Edu / Skolelinux 7.0.0 edu alpha1, based on Debian with codename “Wheezy”.
About Debian Edu and Skolelinux
Debian Edu, also known as Skolelinux, is a Linux distribution based on
Debian providing an out-of-the box environment of a completely
configured school network. Immediatly after installation a school
server running all services needed for a school network is set up just
waiting for users and machines being added via GOsa², a comfortable
Web-UI. A netbooting environment is prepared using PXE, so after
initial installation of the main server from CD, DVD or USB stick all
other machines can be installed via the network.
This is the first test release based on Wheezy (which currently is not
released yet). Basically this is an updated and slightly improved
version compared to the Squeeze release.
* Install freemind (0.9.0) by default, and stop installing vym by
* Install chromium (26.0.1410.43) by default.
* Install goplay (0.5-1.1) to make golearn available by default.
* Updated support for Japanese input methods, now based on
* Switched default file system from ext3 to ext4 for speed and
* Got rid of unwanted winbind daemon and PAM setup activated because
* Extended and improved the testsuite tests to detect more possible
* Corrected proxy handling to not set http_proxy to a bogus
* Corrected proxy setup for diskless workstations.
* Corrected PXE setup to use our updated udebs during installation.
* Made installation handling of low entropy level more robust.
* Create larger partitions for Roaming workstations and Thin client
servers, to make room for all the software installed.
* Fix bug in Roaming workstation PAM setup, making it impossible to
log in (706753).
* IP resolution for the local hostname give useless IPv6 address
(705900). Only install libnss-myhostname on roaming workstations
until it is fixed.
* DVD images are not yet ready.
* No mass import of user account data in GOsa (ldif or csv)
available yet (698840).
* Missing artwork for the KDE desktop (and probably a few others).
* KDE Debian submenu lacks icons.
* LXDE menu lacks entry for changing GOsa password
(website). Installing gosa-desktop will be an option.
* Backup configuration via web interface is impossible due to
password submission problem (700257).
Where to get it
To download the multiarch netinstall CD release you can use
* rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::skolelinux-cd/wheezy/debian-edu~7.0+edu0~a1-CD.iso debian-edu~7.0+edu0~a1-CD.iso
The MD5SUM of this image is: 685ed76c1aa8e44b12d3fde21faf450b
The SHA1SUM of this image is: 6c874de157024da13e115bab29c068080a11ec4c
How to report bugs
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to email@example.com
with a subject of “unsubscribe”. Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org