Debian-news is about one simple thing - news about Debian GNU/Linux and the top free distributions based on Debian GNU/Linux.


 

bits from the DPL — (end of January) + February 2014

Hi,

Here is my 10th monthly report, for the last week of January and
February 2014.

Outline
——-
- Policy editors delegation
- Secretary appointment
- Copyright assignment for Debian contributors
- Evaluation criteria for Trusted Organizations
- how-can-i-help updates
- Talks
- Assets

Policy editors delegation
=========================

Following the discussion that started after the last update of the policy
editors delegation, I issued another update of this delegation[1].
However, that update started another discussion[2].
Writing a delegation that, at the same time, is not too prescriptive¹, and
describe enough to enable all teams to understand what is the expected
separation of powers, is tricky.
I have clarified in the discussion[3], but the delegation should probably
be updated again…

¹ as “Delegates may make decisions as they see fit, but should attempt to
implement good technical decisions and/or follow consensus opinion”
(Constitution 8.3)

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/02/msg00003.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg00196.html
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg00201.html

Secretary appointment
=====================

Together with the Debian Secretary, we agreed to (re-)appoint Kurt Roeckx
as Project Secretary. Additionally, Neil McGovern continues to serve as
Assistant Secretary.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/02/msg00002.html

Copyright assignment for Debian contributors
============================================

Following the call in my last bits[1], one Debian contributor expressed
interest in transferring the copyright of his Debian contributions
to a ‘trusted’ organization. Stefano Zacchiroli is working with
the Software Freedom Conservancy and SPI to provide that option.

If you are yourself interested in transferring copyright for some of your
contributions, it would still be useful to contact both of us (zack@,
leader@), so that we make sure that your specific needs are addressed.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/01/msg00005.html

Evaluation criteria for Trusted Organizations
=============================================

I forwarded the list of evaluation criteria for a prospective TO[1] to
Debian France and Debian.ch. I initially proposed to waive this for FFIS,
but early feedback indicates that FFIS should be part of this survey as
well.
Debian France already provided their answers[2]; please review them, and
ask follow-up questions if needed.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/TrustedOrganizationCriteria
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/03/msg00012.html

how-can-i-help updates
======================

how-can-i-help[1] now lists packages scheduled for removal from testing
(a good way to monitor your own packages), and also lists requests for
sponsorship. It was also featured in a blog by Stefano Zacchiroli,
reposted on bits.d.o[2].

[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/how-can-i-help
[2] http://bits.debian.org/2014/02/how-i-can-help-package.html

Talks
=====

I gave two Debian talks (at MiniDebconfParis, and at Polytech’Grenoble).
As that second talk was in french, I used that opportunity to translate my
slides (using po4a). That talk could serve as a basis if you want to
deliver a talk about Debian yourself — I’ve pushed my slides and the
translation to [1].

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/lucas/dpl-talk.git

Assets
======

Approved expenses
—————–
- Debian Groupware meeting – 480 EUR

https://lists.debian.org/debian-sprints/2014/02/msg00006.html

- Debian support for MiniDebconf Barcelona – 1500 EUR
- extension of the security team meeting budget – +200 EUR
- SSO sprint – 500 EUR

2014 DPL election
=================

I announced that I plan to run again[1]. And I did[2], after a little mistake[3]. :-)

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/02/msg00024.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/03/msg00069.html
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/03/msg00054.html

DPL TODO List
=============

*** meetings
- [lucas] plan next auditors meeting (C: in progress)
- plan next DPL helpers meeting?

*** delegations and teams
- discuss the debconf chairs delegation with debconf team (summarize, take to debconf-team?)
- revisit thread on handling of release goals (C: thread at http://deb.li/3D9kV)
- Debian infrastructure discussion (http://deb.li/3X0j)
- [lucas] re-re-delegate policy editors to address concerns (http://deb.li/3s5PN)
- [lucas] finish updating the NM FD delegation
- delegate the GSOC 2014 admins

*** money / accounting / TOs / auditor / trademark
**** auditors
- set up royalty scheme about Debian book from Packt Publishing
- [lucas] Trusted Organizations criteria (N: wait for feedback)
- [bgupta] work with SPI to enable donations via paypal
- [bgupta] rework donations web page. (N: HTML mockup; #681501)
- work with TOs to fix/improve reimbursement procedures (C: http://deb.li/s6MI)
- [auditor] formalize process for reimbursement RT tickets
- wrap-up status of debian-uk
- [lucas] terminate the visa card as it has not been useful and costs money (C: request sent to SPI treasurer)
- [auditor]Â work with SPI to improve tracking of incomes and expenses
- [auditor] update delegation?
- [auditor] publish an ‘annual Debian budget’
- [auditor] rationalize Debian’s approach to donations, hardware donations, partners and sponsors. (see email from lfilipoz@, 2014-02-08)
- officialize/delegate new members?
**** trademark
- [bgupta]Â define a policy for the handling of debian.* domain names
- [trademark] delegate?
- [trademark]Â send ‘bits’ email
**** legal
- [zack] copyright assignment / license enforcement for Debian

*** communication
- [lucas] answer interview from C. von Eitzen
- [lucas] improve DPL talk: mention blends, translation
- decide if going to DistroRecipe 2014

*** projects/ideas outside DPL scope to help move forward / make sure it happens:
**** new contributors related
- Debian Welcome team (C: http://deb.li/ctX2 + BOF during DebConf – http://deb.li/w3bM . recent email: http://deb.li/3tCUj )
- “recruit” some example packages to point prospective contributors to. (N: send mail to -devel@, ping major teams)
- adjust documentation around ‘gift’ tag, or rename the tag. See http://deb.li/GWs4
- debbugs submissions via http (C: http://deb.li/3F03i N: follow-up on #590269)
- improve reportbug template (#719067)

**** other
- Free access to public Clouds for Debian development: contact a third Cloud
provider to ensure diversity and avoid vendor-lockin.
- Debian Code of Conduct (C: http://deb.li/3wRWh N: iterate with a new version?)
- binary-throw-away uploads — related to reproducible builds (C: http://deb.li/3NPsz N: dak work)
- Debian PPA (would make transitions much easier to manage) (C: implementation not started yet AFAIK N: dak work)
- open discussion on ligthening the SC #5 wording (“we support the use of non-free works”)? (could also help with FSF’s Debian freeness assessment)

*** Blocked / To watch
- finish wrapping up events team discussion (N: list content of events box, update events@Â alias)
- look at http://www.uefi.org/join and decide whether we should join
- package for dvd playing library. was reviewed by ftpmasters (N: Dmitry Smirnov to include feedback and provide a description of the packaging that can be reviewed by SFLC)
- FSF recognition as a free distro (WIP: non-free.org; blocker: fsf-provided list of issues)
- discuss new nm.debian.org website and possible integration with the DM workflow (with the DM keyring team)
- debbugs (C: team with low manpower; call for help sent in dpl bits N: ?)
- [bgupta/SFLC] look at donations using cryptocurrencies
- [trademark/SFLC] logo registration as a trademark

Full/up-to-date list: http://people.debian.org/~lucas/todo.txt

Day-to-day log
==============

As usual, my day-to-day log of DPL activities is
available on master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201401
and master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201402

- Lucas

No Response to “bits from the DPL — (end of January) + February 2014” »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Debian-News is not related to the Debian Project.
All logos and trademarks on this site are property of their respective owners.